Even though Summer is coming to an end soon, the weather here in Washington DC has been crazy hot still. That is why in this post, I am sharing my Summer Fashion Guide for 2018, including lots of pre-Fall items, you can wear to transition from Summer into Fall. I like to create a new Fashion Guide every season - which is my personal edit of my 5 favorite trendy pieces and 5 basic essentials you need to have in your closet. Use this Fashion Guide as your shopping checklist, so you won't spend to much the next time you're planning on doing a shopping spree!
SUMMER FASHION GUIDE VIDEO
If you haven't found the time yet to watch this video, I highly suggest watching my Summer Fashion Guide video first, before getting into this blogpost. In the video, I am showing you all the pieces of my Summer Fashion Guide on, and giving you tips on how to style them. So after watching the video, you can find my shopping checklist with all my Summer/Pre-Fall trends and basics down below. Whenever you're planning a shopping spree, open this blogpost on your phone. You can use it as your on- and offline shopping checklist when you're out and about, so you can check off every item you were missing in your Summer closet while shopping. This way you won't be spending your coin on items you don't need!
THE SHOPPING CHECKLIST
The 5 Summer trend pieces that I am going to show you are my personal edit to add to your current closet. I honestly cannot live without these pieces, so they are a musthave for updating your wardrobe for this season. All the trendy pieces I am showing you are still fairly classic, making them super easy to combine with your already existing wardrobe. This way, you don't have to spend a fortune, while still adding many new outfit options to your closet!
- White Jackets. A white jacket is the perfect late Summer or pre-Fall transitional piece. I personally recommend investing in a more casual and more formal white jacket. I chose this cropped & oversized white denim jacket from Zara as my more everyday jacket, while this Banana Republic Factory white blazer is perfect for a cooler night out.
- Paperbag Bottoms. Paperbag bottoms are hot, hot, hot! Not only do paperbag bottoms create a very flattering silhouette, they are also very comfortable to wear. I love pairing my khaki paperbag skirt from H&M together with a white tee and some slides for the ultimate comfy look. Another option is to pair white paperbag shorts from River Island with a bandeau croptop, some nude accessories and a cute denim jacket if you want to look a little bit more put together.
- Fruity Print. Instead of going for your typical floral print for Summer, try out a fruit print instead! I am totally obsessed with this print, because it is fun, yet very wearable at the same time. I got this lace-up fruity skirt from For Love And Lemons. It is a bit of an investment, but I am sure that I will be wearing this skirt every Summer from now on!
- Playsuit. I've been wearing playsuits for so many Summers now, that I am not even sure if I should call this a "trend" piece. My favorite playsuit this year is this nude playsuit from NA-KD. Although I love the bright, floral prints most playsuits come in, I can really appreciate this more toned down version. And obviously, the main reason why playsuits are amazing is the fact that they are very comfy, easy to style, and you don't have to worry about that Marilyn Monroe moment. ;)
- Square Neckline Tops. The last trend I am loving are square neckline tops. There is something very sexy and sensual about these types of tops. I personally see these types of tops as an update on your classic black or white tee. My favorite is this Boohoo white bodysuit (I got it in tan too - the perfect pre-Fall transitioning piece!), because it is very flattering and goes with literally anything.
Enough about trends: Let's talk basics! I am a big believer in the power of basics. Basics allow you to mix and match with pretty much every item in your wardrobe. Furthermore, spending more on better quality basics enables you to wear them way more, and really get that cost per wear out of your pieces. I know investing in basics can sound a bit boring, but I promise you - a good quality white tee will last you a lifetime!
- White Dress. The ultimate Summer essential is a white dress. Not only is it super easy to style - just throw on some heels and a cute cross body bag and you're good to go - it's also very elegant and chic. I choose to invest in a white dress this year, mainly because I totally fell in love with this white and rose gold mini dress from For Love And Lemons.
- Bandeau Top. Rather than going for a simple cami, I love adding a bandeau top to any of my Summer outfit combinations. It's a little bit more feminine, and adds an interesting twist to your look. I suggest to always get a bandeau top from the Tall section, since they are longer and will provide a bit more coverage. My personal favorites are the white and the black bandeau from Boohoo.
- White T-Shirt. You guys know, I love a good white t-shirt. Although I already have quite a collection, I did not have a boyfriend style one. When I saw this T by Alexander Wang white t-shirt on sale, I had to get it. I love pairing oversized tee like this with a denim skirt, or with a pair of denim shorts. It's the perfect timeless Summer look in my opinion!
- Denim Shorts. A Summer Fashion Guide would not be completed without a pair of denim shorts. I literally LIVE in denim shorts during the Summer and early Fall time. I always feel like I need a new pair of shorts every Summer (for some odd reason my shorts from previous years NEVER seem to fit me), so I am always on the hunt to try out a new style. My personal favorite shorts this year are from Topshop. I got them in the Tall version, making them a bit longer, which is very flattering for any girl with thick tighs like me.
- Nude Accessories. Probably my favorite, and most essential basics category for Summer are nude accessories. Not only are nude accessories timeless, they are also super easy to style. This year, I invested in the beautiful Chloe Nilé bag in Biscotti Beige - the ultimate Summer bag. I know it's quite a splurge, so that is why I also created this in-depth review and what's in my bag video, to help you decide if this bag is worth it to you. Another nude accessory I love to wear are nude heels. They elongate your legs and make you look twice as tall, which is always a bonus as a petite girl. I love this nude pair from Steve Madden, because it is very simple and elegant.
So my lovelies, that is the end of this blogpost & video. I hope you enjoyed this a bit belated Summer Fashion Guide! It's time to say goodbye to Summer now. You will be missed. I am already excited to start working on Fall edition, that will be out very soon. Let me know which item I featured was your favorite in the comments down below - I would love to know.
WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE ITEM IN THE SUMMER FASHION GUIDE?